Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Grinder, Part II : Phoenix Rising

"It's not about you."  That's the opening line from Rick Warren's best-selling book, The Purpose Driven Life.  I stumbled across that book after my Grinder experience.  I think that opening line is a great life guide for managing an ego.

At any rate, my "adjustment" didn't happen immediately or all at once.  I daresay, some would say it hasn't happened at all.  It's certainly far from complete.  And it's those times that are the most gut-wrenching and most instructional.  When my "old self" makes an appearance, it's ugly.  I don't like it.  The dilemma for me, I think, has been separating the wheat from the chaff.  Many of the traits that have helped me succeed in life are the same ones that have held me back.  For me, it's been a matter of appropriate application of some of these traits.  I'm still learning.  But I also know I'm making progress so I keep going, trying to learn and grow from each experience.

So what's the secret?  There isn't one.  If there was, it would've been dispensed by someone long ago.  There's life.  Sometimes it's hard, real hard.  Like everyone else, I'd like to find my true purpose, feel more fulfilled, feel more inspired, feel more content, impact others more positively.  My strategy involved prefacing each of those objectives with the phrase, "what choices can I make today to..."

Life is about decision-making and making choices.  You won't always choose "correctly."  That's okay.  Unfortunately, too many of us think if we choose poorly, that's it, we're stuck.  Not so.  It's just time to choose again.  If you're seeking an objective, you've got to be willing to keep being a decison-maker.  Keep making choices until you accomplish your objective.  You can't afford to sit back and just let life happen.  You've got to actively participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment