Sunday, December 23, 2012

Write 'Em Down

It's that time of the year again.  Resolution review.  As I get ready to set new goals and make new resolutions for the upcoming year, it's important for me to examine how I fared on last year's aspirations.  Like many other people, I almost always fail miserably on at least one goal or resolution I set for myself.  For instance, this year I was supposed to re-learn playing guitar.  With just 8 days left in the year, the guitar remains standing untouched in the corner.  I suppose that goal will be added to this year's list again.

This year's list.  Yes, it's an actual written list, as it has been for the past 25 years.  It's proven that writing down your goals is vitally important to actually achieving them.  So, whatever it is you're contemplating to accomplish next year, write 'em down!  Periodic review throughout the year is recommended to ensure steady progress, measure results, and adjust objectives if necessary.

I try to keep my list as simple and specific as possible.  I actually strive for a few specific personality improvements and then a handful of personally meaningful, challenging but achievable goals I wish to reach.  If I succeed at one of them, I can cross it off and add something new.  If I fail, like with the guitar, I can carry it forward or decide it's no longer a priority and take it off the list.  In other words, keep your list manageable.  If you put everything on your list all at once, you'll undoubtedly feel overwhelmed and struggle harder to achieve anything - often leading to complete surrender.  How many people do you know who fail in their resolutions year after year?  Find success - write 'em down, be reasonable and specific in your expectations, and include easily achievable goals to help build confidence for the more challenging goals.

To enjoy success and stay actively focused on your goals involves one essential element.  Discipline.  That's my first and most important Cornerstone.  Stay tuned - I'll begin discussing each cornerstone in more depth as the week progresses.  For now, start thinking about your list of objectives and write 'em down!

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment