Wednesday, April 23, 2014

18,262 Days...and Counting

Live life on purpose.  That's my new primary goal after recently reading Robert D. Smith's book, 20,000 Days and Counting.  I've even decided to mimic his approach on mapping out just what that statement means.  To that end, I'm sequestered in my home, alone for the next 48 hours, to reflect on my fortunate circumstances, celebrate them fully, and realize how I got here...and where I'm headed. 

Time is the one constant.  It ticks on steadily no matter what.  Not to sound morbid, but the reality is that our time in this world is limited and fragile.  We always think there's more time to do whatever...and then it's passed so quickly, or tragedy has stolen precious moments we took for granted lay ahead.  It's up to each of us to maximize the time allotted to us - living each moment as if it might be our last.

Maybe it's just my own version of a mid-life crisis.  Or perhaps it's the crystallization of what I already believe and practice.  Either way, it's past time to express appreciation to those that have had an impact on my existence and good fortune.  A fulfilling life is all about the quality of the relationships we build.  It's vitally important to nurture, value, and enjoy them.  Doing so enables you to get to where you're trying to go.

I recently wrote about being A Man On Fire.  The urgency and passion encompassed in that, dovetails nicely with living life on purpose and being more cognizant of the people we touch and who touch us.  Every day, every minute counts.  Before I resume chasing after what's ahead, I'll pause to acknowledge and thank those in my life that have been so instrumental in helping me become who I am  right now.  So, thank YOU! 

In less than 3 hours, I'll turn 50 years old.  That's 18,262 days...and counting.


No comments:

Post a Comment